Remember every day to "Make a Memory"!

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Recipe Exchange - Week 5 And a Little More

This actually catches me up on the Recipe Exchange, well until next week. My life has been extremely busy, as I am sure all of your lives are. As a tradition we ALWAYS make sugar cookies on Christmas Eve and decorate them so that we can leave them out for Santa when he comes to visit. Of course we also leave out carrots for Santa's reindeer too, but I'm sure you all know that recipe already but just in case:

Reindeer Carrots

Go to your local grocery store
Pick up a bag of carrots, the larger, unpeeled ones are more satisfying for the reindeer
Bring them home
Open the bag
Take out one for each reindeer, peel
Leave near the plate of Santa's cookies

Another fun thing that we do is sprinkle Magic Reindeer Food on our front lawn/snow to help guide Santa on his way. I've included the poem to that. Harleigh loves to give Magic Reindeer Food to friends and classmates and it is easy. We mix oatmeal, glitter, sugar, and hay (well actually it is raffia cut to look like hay from your local craft store). We then put it into a little ziploc bag and attach this poem.



Magic Reindeer Food

On Christmas Eve
Sprinkle this food on the lawn at night;
The moon will make it sparkle bright.
When Santa’s reindeer fly and roam;
This magic food will guide them to your home.

Merry Christmas!
The Davisons
Sugar Cookies


1 Cup Margarine
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Baking Powder
4 Cups Sifted Flour

Cream margarine and sugar, add eggs and vanilla. Sift in flour and baking powder. Chill one half hour, roll out and cut. Bake 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.


Frosting


4 ½ Cups Powdered Sugar
½ Cup Margarine
4 Tbsp. Milk
2 Tbsp. Koolaid - depending on what color you want your frosting to be


Mix and spread on sugar cookies. I sometimes add a tablespoon or two of softened cream cheese just for flavor.

1 comment:

Janiel said...

I LOVE the carrot idea. I never thought of leaving something for the reindeer. Burkley will be THRILLED with this idea!