Remember every day to "Make a Memory"!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tuesdays Thoughts

Okay, sometimes I just feel like I have nothing to blog about. Maybe it is the lack of sunshine, I don't know. So today I've come up with Tuesdays Thoughts.

First off, here is why I started thinking of traditions and memories. I like to do fun things with my kids and am always thinking of a new tradition that maybe we could start. Like I said THINKING. Thinking and actually carrying it out are two different things.

Today is St. Patrick's Day and I thought of all kinds of fun things to do: Make a Leprechaun trap, green eggs, Lucky Charms and green milk, treats at the end of the rainbow, a scavenger hunt, St. Patrick's Day decorations, Leprechaun mischief throughout the house with chairs turned over and pictures upside down, and on and on.

I've never REALLY done a lot for St. Patrick's Day in the past, other than we wear green. My babysitter, Sheila, has always done the fun green food and party for the kids so of course I've heard how fun Sheila is but when I mentioned to the boys about helping Harleigh make a trap for a Leprechaun I just got the look "You've got to be kidding". Then this morning I told the kids to put on green shirts, Harleigh had on a cute St. Patrick's Day shirt, and I'd take a picture for the blog. Brodie put on a blue and white shirt and said "No, Mom". The mention of green eggs and green milk make them all roll their eyes. The mention of corned beef and cabbage for dinner got groans. So for a little while I was feeling like BORING! I was feeling like maybe we should have started some St. Patrick's Day traditions a LONG time ago, like when Brodie was telling me as a little four year old how cool Sheila's green macaroni and cheese was.

So my thought is: Enjoy them being little because they'll grow into teenagers! Okay, not really. Here are my three thoughts for today:

We do not remember days, we remember moments. - Cesare Pavese
and
Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose. - The TV Show "The Wonder Years"
and
Traditions create memories that bond families together. - Unknown
Even though my kids might grumble, I'm going to keep on trying to make "memories" in our house. It may not be the big things, but the little things like the time before they go to bed. I love to unwind at the end of the day and talk to them. Harleigh always wants a story and we talk and she needs her back rubbed. The boys have not outgrown a request for a back rub and they are usually willing to talk about their day. When they were little I used to ask them "what was the best part of today" and we would talk about the best thing about their day. I still sometimes ask them that.
So, after all of my rambling, I hope you'll make a memory with your family!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!

1 comment:

Shari said...

The daycare kids got green eggs and ham and green pancakes for lunch this year. Some had a really hard time eating it!